ARTnewsletter Archive

Phillips’ London Expansion: More Space and a Bigger Board

Phillips, de Pury & Company has announced plans for new space in London, a former post office sorting station in Victoria that was built in 1894. The property, situated between Westminster and Chelsea, is owned by international developer Alessandro Cajrati Crivelli.

NEW YORK—Phillips, de Pury & Company has announced plans for new space in London, a former post office sorting station in Victoria that was built in 1894. The property, situated between Westminster and Chelsea, is owned by international developer Alessandro Cajrati Crivelli.

Phillips’ global headquarters are in New York’s Chelsea district, where it occupies 28,000 square feet of auction, gallery and office space. In the new London offices, Phillips will occupy over 40,000 square feet—ample room for auctions of contemporary art, photographs, design and jewelry, among other things. The space will also feature selling exhibitions for international photographers and artists.

Phillips further announced the appointment of Rodman Primack, formerly the firm’s Los Angeles representative, as managing director of the new London operation. Phillips also has appointed Jean-Michel Placent as its new worldwide head of private sales. Placent was formerly a vice president in Christie’s private sales division.

Moreover, the auction house has named three new members to its advisory board. The auctioneer describes the board as “an additional creative network for chairman Simon de Pury and his specialists to further company development.” The new appointees are: Malcolm McLaren, founder and former manager of the British punk band the Sex Pistols; Ernest Mourmans, founder of The Gallery Mourmans, Maastricht and Knokke; and Anita Zabludowicz, a major collector of contemporary art.

  • Issues