A countdown of our most popular online stories (part 1)
10. What I Like About You: Artists to Follow on Instagram
In an ARTnews web exclusive, Robin Cembalest explored how Laurie Simmons, Ryan McGinness, Kenny Scharf, and others are using the photo-sharing network to disseminate their work—and their fixations. So many artists have joined Instagram since then that it’s time for a new list. Read the piece.
9. Girl with a Hoop Earring: Fun with Vermeer
On the occasion of the traveling show of treasures from the Mauritshuis, the Royal Picture Gallery in The Hague (the exhibition is now in its final stop, at the Frick), Robin Cembalest surveyed the modern-day descendants of Vermeer’s mysterious protagonists. Read the piece.
8. How to Speak Artspeak (Properly)
7. Disaster Photography: When is Documentary Exploitation?
Photographers who produce spectacular images of Detroit, Chernobyl, and other ravaged areas have sparked disagreements over whether they are exploiting others’ misfortune—or just covering the bad news. Richard B. Woodward reports. Read the piece.
6. Ten Tough Women Artists Who Stand Up to the Bad Boys
Stay tuned for the top five ARTnews posts of the year next Monday.