Today the New Museum‘s director, Lisa Phillips, announced three major new scholarship opportunities that aim to promote the study of contemporary art and culture.The first initiative, titled the Mellon Grant for Contemporary Scholarship in Contemporary Art, is a $500,000 fund that will be awarded over a three-year period. It will be used to support the position of Research Fellow and supplement the cost of public and private seminars on contemporary art, among other projects.The museum will also be partnering with MIT Press to re-launch “Critical Anthology,” a pioneering publication series on issues in contemporary art. Past volumes in this series include Out There: International Perspectives on Art and Culture (1990) and Blasted Allegories (1989).Additionally, the institution has created the MX Curatorial Travel Fund in honor of the New Museum’s Massimiliano Gioni, who was just promoted to artistic director. This more-than-$300,000 fund will allow the museum’s curators to travel, conduct research, and participate in global events.
- Rema Hort Mann Foundation Names 2016 Los Angeles Artist Grantees
- 'I Think That Discomfort Is a Really Positive Place for Us All to Be In': Keith J. Varadi on His New Show, Facebook, and Gambling
- Here Is the New Eckhaus Latta Video for the Hammer Museum 'Made in L.A.' Biennial
- Mexico City's Lulu Expands
- Issue Project Room's 2016 Artists-In-Residence Will Be Keith Connolly and Cecilia Corrigan