Today the New Museum‘s director, Lisa Phillips, announced three major new scholarship opportunities that aim to promote the study of contemporary art and culture.The first initiative, titled the Mellon Grant for Contemporary Scholarship in Contemporary Art, is a $500,000 fund that will be awarded over a three-year period. It will be used to support the position of Research Fellow and supplement the cost of public and private seminars on contemporary art, among other projects.The museum will also be partnering with MIT Press to re-launch “Critical Anthology,” a pioneering publication series on issues in contemporary art. Past volumes in this series include Out There: International Perspectives on Art and Culture (1990) and Blasted Allegories (1989).Additionally, the institution has created the MX Curatorial Travel Fund in honor of the New Museum’s Massimiliano Gioni, who was just promoted to artistic director. This more-than-$300,000 fund will allow the museum’s curators to travel, conduct research, and participate in global events.
- Artist Darja Bajagic Alleges Censorship of Work Featuring Swastika and References to Nazism
- Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden Names Daniel H. Sallick Board Chair
- Summertime Bruce: Watermill Center's Summer Benefit Will Feature Bruce High Quality Foundation
- Digital Arts Magazine Triple Canopy to Move from Greenpoint to Chinatown
- This Magic Moment: Ugo Rondinone Places Seven Mountains in the Desert Outside Las Vegas