Recently The New York Times cited Skate’s Art Market Research in an article on the slowdown in the growth of art fairs worldwide. In an analysis of attendance figures, Skate’s found “that 1,032,792 people attended the world’s top 20 art fairs in 2014, a 7.4 percent decline from the previous year,” The Times reported. Despite the dip, art fair attendance is impressive, given that only a handful of these events have existed for more than a decade. In the accompanying graph, we use the same 2014 figures to compare the major international fairs to one another, and to see which are the best attended. Perhaps surprisingly, ARCO Madrid (the 2015 edition of which just closed) came out on top. Other fairs in the upper echelon of attendance include the Armory Show, which opens next week in New York, Art Basel Miami Beach, FIAC, and Art Basel. Not surprisingly, smaller fairs like Art Brussels and specialized ones like Design Miami have smaller audiences.
ARTnews on Facebook
- Expo Chicago Announces 2018 Special Project Curators
- Here's the Exhibitor List for Frieze New York 2018
- Here's the Exhibitor List for the 1-54 Contemporary African Art Fair's First Marrakech Edition
- Los Angeles’s Freedman Fitzpatrick Will Open New Location in Paris
- NADA Names 2018 Winners of International Gallery Prize