The Museum of Modern Art announced today that, for the 30th anniversary of its “New Photography” exhibition, the annual showcase for emerging photographers will become a biannual affair and include more artists. This year’s edition features 19 artists from 14 countries, up from the handful of artists (seven in 2013, five in 2012) that appeared in previous editions.
This year’s show, titled “Ocean of Images,” focuses on “contemporary photo-based culture, specifically focusing on connectivity, the circulation of images, information networks, and communication models,” according to its press release. The exhibition is slated to open on November 7. The exhibition has helped launch the careers of artists such as Philip-Lorca diCorcia, Rineke Djikstra, Viviane Sassen, and Wolfgang Tillmans.
The list of the 19 artists whose work will be shown in “Ocean of Images” follows below.
- Ilit Azoulay (Israeli, b. 1972)
- Zbynek Baladrán (Czech, b. 1973)
- Lucas Blalock (American, b. 1978)
- Edson Chagas (Angolan, b. 1977)
- Natalie Czech (German, b. 1976)
- DIS (Collective, founded in New York in 2010)
- Katharina Gaenssler (German, b. 1974)
- David Hartt (Canadian, b. 1967)
- Mishka Henner (Belgian, b. 1976)
- David Horvitz (American, b. 1982)
- John Houck (American, b. 1977)
- Yuki Kimura (Japanese, b. 1971)
- Anouk Kruithof (Dutch, b. 1981)
- Basim Magdy (Egyptian, b. 1977)
- Katja Novitskova (Estonian, b. 1984)
- Marina Pinsky (Russian, b. 1986)
- Lele Saveri (Italian, b. 1980)
- Indrė Šerpytytė (Lithuanian, b. 1983)
- Lieko Shiga (Japanese, b. 1980)