The very first Seattle Art Fair opened on Thursday night with 60 galleries, including heavy hitters like Gagosian, Zwirner, and Pace. Where have the exhibitors come from? As the graph above shows, all but 7 are based in the United States, about a third come from New York, and 13 hail from Washington. In comparison, Expo Chicago, a regional fair that is far larger in size (it will have more than 140 galleries in its next edition, in September), includes roughly the same percentage of New York galleries, and nearly as large a percentage of galleries from its home state (Illinois), though it is a bit more diverse in terms of international reach. (A note on methodology: when galleries have spaces in more than one city, they have been counted only once, in the place where they are headquartered.) Will the Seattle fair become a regular part of the increasingly crowded art calendar? Read a report from the fair here.
ARTnews on Facebook
- New York's Pavel Zoubok Gallery to Remain Open By Appointment Only
- Seattle Art Fair Announces Programming for Its Fourth Edition
- Condo Gallery Share Program Names Participants in 2018 New York and Shanghai Editions
- Pace Sold Warhol's Judy Garland Portrait at Art Basel, Page Six Reports It's Liza Minnelli's
- 'A Luxury Problem': As Art Basel 2018 Rolls On, the Sales Beat Continues