The very first Seattle Art Fair opened on Thursday night with 60 galleries, including heavy hitters like Gagosian, Zwirner, and Pace. Where have the exhibitors come from? As the graph above shows, all but 7 are based in the United States, about a third come from New York, and 13 hail from Washington. In comparison, Expo Chicago, a regional fair that is far larger in size (it will have more than 140 galleries in its next edition, in September), includes roughly the same percentage of New York galleries, and nearly as large a percentage of galleries from its home state (Illinois), though it is a bit more diverse in terms of international reach. (A note on methodology: when galleries have spaces in more than one city, they have been counted only once, in the place where they are headquartered.) Will the Seattle fair become a regular part of the increasingly crowded art calendar? Read a report from the fair here.
ARTnews on Facebook
- Here's the Exhibitor List for Art Brussels 2018
- 'We're Across the Street From the Carlyle!' Clearing Gallery's Olivier Babin on His New Space on the Upper East Side
- NADA Miami Opens to Brisk Sales at Ice Palace Studios, the Fair's Original Home
- Galerie Balice Hertling Opens Second Location in Paris
- Art Basel Miami Beach Sees 'Slow But Steady' Sales—Including $9.5 M. Nauman—on Opening Day in Mid-Renovation Convention Center