Pretty incredible painting. It’s titled The Protector of Home and Family, dated 1969, and shows a woman holding a shotgun. Swann Galleries in New York is billing the piece as the “first known visual art work by Dr. Maya Angelou to be publicly exhibited or offered for sale.” It’s included in the house’s auction of the late writer’s art collection, which will take place tomorrow.
- Jay Gorney and Lisa Cooley Join Paula Cooper Gallery
- 'It's the Only Fair of Its Kind': Outsider Art Fair Opens Its 25th Edition in New York
- Ruba Katrib Named Curatorial Advisor for Frieze Focus
- Essex Street Gallery Relocates to Hester Street, Opening New Space With an Anti-Inauguration Show
- Marianne Boesky to Open Gallery in Aspen