Pretty incredible painting. It’s titled The Protector of Home and Family, dated 1969, and shows a woman holding a shotgun. Swann Galleries in New York is billing the piece as the “first known visual art work by Dr. Maya Angelou to be publicly exhibited or offered for sale.” It’s included in the house’s auction of the late writer’s art collection, which will take place tomorrow.
ARTnews on Facebook
- Beat the Heat! Artists, Dealers Convene in the Hamptons for Lovable, Laidback Upstairs Art Fair
- Storied Painter Ed Clark Joins Hauser & Wirth
- Sotheby's Shareholders Attempt to Stop $2.7 Billion Purchase of Auction House by BidFair
- Neil Armstrong Memorabilia Auction Rakes in Over $2.4 M. Before 50th Anniversary of Moon Landing
- Here's the Exhibitor List for NADA's Inaugural Chicago Invitational