Pretty incredible painting. It’s titled The Protector of Home and Family, dated 1969, and shows a woman holding a shotgun. Swann Galleries in New York is billing the piece as the “first known visual art work by Dr. Maya Angelou to be publicly exhibited or offered for sale.” It’s included in the house’s auction of the late writer’s art collection, which will take place tomorrow.
ARTnews on Facebook
- Galerie Perrotin Now Represents the Estate of Hans Hartung
- Early Schiele Painting, Estimated at $30 M. to $40 M. by Sotheby's, Could Shatter Artist's Auction Record
- LAXART Founder Lauri Firstenberg and Artist Anthony James to Open Art Production Hub in East Hollywood
- Christie's to Offer Brancusi Bronze at May Imp-Mod Evening Sale That Could Sell for $30 M.
- Sotheby's, Phillips Reveal Top Lots for May Postwar and Contemporary Sales in New York