Pretty incredible painting. It’s titled The Protector of Home and Family, dated 1969, and shows a woman holding a shotgun. Swann Galleries in New York is billing the piece as the “first known visual art work by Dr. Maya Angelou to be publicly exhibited or offered for sale.” It’s included in the house’s auction of the late writer’s art collection, which will take place tomorrow.
ARTnews on Facebook
- $49.8 M. Francis Bacon Portrait Leads Solid $397.1 M. Christie's Contemporary Sale, Records Fall for Joan Mitchell, Robert Gober, Morris Louis
- $45.3 M. Basquiat Is Top Lot in Robust $131.6 M. Phillips Sale of 20th-Century and Contemporary Art
- Here's the Exhibitor List for the 2018 Seattle Art Fair
- Alexander Gray Associates Now Represents Ricardo Brey
- Sting, Trudie Styler Sell Items from Design Collection at Phillips, Singer Jams with Shaggy