Pretty incredible painting. It’s titled The Protector of Home and Family, dated 1969, and shows a woman holding a shotgun. Swann Galleries in New York is billing the piece as the “first known visual art work by Dr. Maya Angelou to be publicly exhibited or offered for sale.” It’s included in the house’s auction of the late writer’s art collection, which will take place tomorrow.
ARTnews on Facebook
- Charles Harlan Is Now Represented by Kayne Griffin Corcoran
- A Rare Florine Stettheimer Doubleheader: As the Whitney Museum Acquires One Painting, Another Heads to Auction
- Mignoni Gallery to Open on Upper East Side, Headed by Former Christie's Contemporary Director
- Kay Rosen Heads to Alexander Gray Associates in New York
- 'It Was Just a Gift from a Friend': An Old Basquiat Associate Sets Out to Authenticate a Drawing