Pretty incredible painting. It’s titled The Protector of Home and Family, dated 1969, and shows a woman holding a shotgun. Swann Galleries in New York is billing the piece as the “first known visual art work by Dr. Maya Angelou to be publicly exhibited or offered for sale.” It’s included in the house’s auction of the late writer’s art collection, which will take place tomorrow.
ARTnews on Facebook
- Signal Gallery, Hotbed for Vanguard Art in Brooklyn, Will Close
- Christie's Will Sell 16 Works from Herbert and Adele Klapper Collection at November Imp-Mod Sale in New York
- Here's the Exhibitor List for Independent New York 2019
- Mark Rothko Painting from François and Susan de Menil Collection Will Hit the Block at Christie's, Estimated at $35 M. to $45 M.
- Katsura Yamaguchi Tapped As Managing Director of Christie's Japan