Pretty incredible painting. It’s titled The Protector of Home and Family, dated 1969, and shows a woman holding a shotgun. Swann Galleries in New York is billing the piece as the “first known visual art work by Dr. Maya Angelou to be publicly exhibited or offered for sale.” It’s included in the house’s auction of the late writer’s art collection, which will take place tomorrow.
ARTnews on Facebook
- ‘There’s Something in This Model That Feels Outdated’: Ibid Gallery Closes Its Central London Space
- Scenes from Around Art Basel Hong Kong
- Didactic But Definitely Not Dull: A Report from Art Basel Hong Kong
- Estate of Betty Parsons, Storied Ab Ex Dealer Who Also Made Art, Goes to Alexander Gray Associates
- After 25 Years, New York's Sandra Gering Inc. Gallery to Close This Summer