Pretty incredible painting. It’s titled The Protector of Home and Family, dated 1969, and shows a woman holding a shotgun. Swann Galleries in New York is billing the piece as the “first known visual art work by Dr. Maya Angelou to be publicly exhibited or offered for sale.” It’s included in the house’s auction of the late writer’s art collection, which will take place tomorrow.
ARTnews on Facebook
- Pioneering Conceptual Provocateur Teresa Burga Is Now Represented by Alexander Gray Associates Gallery in New York
- Grimm Gallery Names Kat Sapera as Director
- Christie's to Offer Modigliani's 'Tête' Sculpture With Estimate of $30 M. to $40 M. in New York in May
- Phillips Auction House Could Reset Mark Bradford Record Again
- New York's Lubov Gallery Moves to Chinatown, Opens Space in Zurich, Names Olga Generalova Director