Pretty incredible painting. It’s titled The Protector of Home and Family, dated 1969, and shows a woman holding a shotgun. Swann Galleries in New York is billing the piece as the “first known visual art work by Dr. Maya Angelou to be publicly exhibited or offered for sale.” It’s included in the house’s auction of the late writer’s art collection, which will take place tomorrow.
ARTnews on Facebook
- Recording-Setting Sanyu Nude Heads Back to Auction with $33 M. Estimate at Christie's Hong Kong
- Dealer Rudolf Zwirner (David's Dad) Cofounded the First Art Fair—Now He's Not So Hot on Them
- Little-Seen David Hockney Painting of Former Lover and Muse Goes to Auction at Christie's with $25 M.–$45 M. Estimate
- Salvador Dalí Work Swiped from San Francisco Gallery
- Brooklyn Museum to Sell Francis Bacon Pope at Auction with $6 M.-to-$8 M. Estimate