Pretty incredible painting. It’s titled The Protector of Home and Family, dated 1969, and shows a woman holding a shotgun. Swann Galleries in New York is billing the piece as the “first known visual art work by Dr. Maya Angelou to be publicly exhibited or offered for sale.” It’s included in the house’s auction of the late writer’s art collection, which will take place tomorrow.
- Gorvy's Departure Shakes Up Christie's Amid a Changing Auction Landscape
- Brett Gorvy Leaves Christie's After Decades to Join Dominique Lévy in Gallery and Advisory Firm
- Sotheby's Acquires Anti-Forging Firm to Create New Scientific Research Department
- 'We Sold It All to the Best People': Despite Attendance Drop at Miami Basel, Art by the Young and Closely Watched Is Selling Quickly
- ARTnews's Complete Art Basel Miami Beach 2016 Coverage