It was a week of huge contemporary art auctions in London. Just how huge? The above graph tells the story, comparing this week’s figures at the three big houses with the results for the same sales going back to 2011. The big news: Phillips stepped up its game this time, more than doubling its total from last year. Click for reports from Sotheby’s, Christie’s, and Phillips. (Note that all numbers have been converted from British pounds to U.S. dollars using the exchange rates at the time of the sales.)
ARTnews on Facebook
- LAXART Founder Lauri Firstenberg and Artist Anthony James to Open Art Production Hub in East Hollywood
- Christie's to Offer Brancusi Bronze at May Imp-Mod Evening Sale That Could Sell for $30 M.
- Sotheby's, Phillips Reveal Top Lots for May Postwar and Contemporary Sales in New York
- Marc Porter Stolen Back by Christie's to Be Chairman Americas After Three-Month Stint at Sotheby's
- Preview Independent Brussels 2017