The latest editions of the Venice Biennale and Istanbul Biennial recently ended their runs, and released news that each had set new records for attendance: more than 500,000 people for Venice, and 545,000 for Istanbul. The graph above takes a look at how many people attended a number of recent major exhibitions, including “State of the Art,” the ambitious survey of American art that opened at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville, Arkansas, last year and ArtPrize, the art competition that takes over Grand Rapids, Michigan, each fall. These numbers have been self-reported by each institution.
- The Center of Attraction: Expo Chicago Stretches From the Highways to the Pier
- Martos Gallery Rechristens Los Angeles Space as West Coast Offshoot of Shoot the Lobster
- Who Threw the First Punch?: Shana Lutker Stages a Surrealist Fight in Los Angeles
- Strobe Warning: Peter Burr on His New Video Installation, 'Pattern Language'
- Wadsworth Atheneum Hires Grant S. Smith as Director of Development