The latest editions of the Venice Biennale and Istanbul Biennial recently ended their runs, and released news that each had set new records for attendance: more than 500,000 people for Venice, and 545,000 for Istanbul. The graph above takes a look at how many people attended a number of recent major exhibitions, including “State of the Art,” the ambitious survey of American art that opened at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville, Arkansas, last year and ArtPrize, the art competition that takes over Grand Rapids, Michigan, each fall. These numbers have been self-reported by each institution.
ARTnews on Facebook
- At Seven on Seven Conference, Artists and Technologists Unite to Ponder Politics, Sexting, Fake News, and More
- Adult Baby: John Waters Is Doing a Summer Camp for Grown-Ups
- Early Schiele Painting, Estimated at $30 M. to $40 M. by Sotheby's, Could Shatter Artist's Auction Record
- Rome Prize Names 2017–18 Winners, Including Sanford Biggers and Rochelle Feinstein
- LAXART Founder Lauri Firstenberg and Artist Anthony James to Open Art Production Hub in East Hollywood