The latest editions of the Venice Biennale and Istanbul Biennial recently ended their runs, and released news that each had set new records for attendance: more than 500,000 people for Venice, and 545,000 for Istanbul. The graph above takes a look at how many people attended a number of recent major exhibitions, including “State of the Art,” the ambitious survey of American art that opened at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville, Arkansas, last year and ArtPrize, the art competition that takes over Grand Rapids, Michigan, each fall. These numbers have been self-reported by each institution.
ARTnews on Facebook
- Primary Information Releases Artists' Postcards for Use in Political Protest
- Stanley Brouwn, Whose Works Examine Measurement and Memory, Dies at 81
- Crystal Bridges Museum Receives $15 M. for Education Initiatives
- Record-Breaking $110.5 M. Basquiat Shocks Attendees at Sotheby's $319.2 M. Postwar and Contemporary Evening Sale
- Basquiat Painting Sells to Yusaku Maezawa for $110.5 M. at Sotheby's Auction, Shattering Records