The latest editions of the Venice Biennale and Istanbul Biennial recently ended their runs, and released news that each had set new records for attendance: more than 500,000 people for Venice, and 545,000 for Istanbul. The graph above takes a look at how many people attended a number of recent major exhibitions, including “State of the Art,” the ambitious survey of American art that opened at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville, Arkansas, last year and ArtPrize, the art competition that takes over Grand Rapids, Michigan, each fall. These numbers have been self-reported by each institution.
ARTnews on Facebook
- Hammer Names Allegra Pesenti Associate Director, Senior Curator of UCLA Grunwald Center for the Graphic Arts
- Morning Links: Goodbye, Golden Cattelan Toilet Edition
- Members of White House Committee on the Arts and Humanities Resign in Protest Following President's Comments on Charlottesville
- Blanton Museum in Austin Receives Gift of Seven Works by Leon Polk Smith
- MoMA Will Remain Open Until 9 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays Through Year End [Updated]