The latest editions of the Venice Biennale and Istanbul Biennial recently ended their runs, and released news that each had set new records for attendance: more than 500,000 people for Venice, and 545,000 for Istanbul. The graph above takes a look at how many people attended a number of recent major exhibitions, including “State of the Art,” the ambitious survey of American art that opened at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville, Arkansas, last year and ArtPrize, the art competition that takes over Grand Rapids, Michigan, each fall. These numbers have been self-reported by each institution.
ARTnews on Facebook
- Courtenay Finn Named Chief Curator of the Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland
- All Booked Up: Printed Matter's NY Art Book Fair Teems with Zines, Scenes, and Sanctuary
- Under Proposed Deal, Met Breuer Would Be Taken Over by Frick Collection in 2020
- Here's the Exhibitor List for NADA Miami 2018
- Designer John Christakos Named President of Walker Art Center's Board of Trustees