The latest editions of the Venice Biennale and Istanbul Biennial recently ended their runs, and released news that each had set new records for attendance: more than 500,000 people for Venice, and 545,000 for Istanbul. The graph above takes a look at how many people attended a number of recent major exhibitions, including “State of the Art,” the ambitious survey of American art that opened at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville, Arkansas, last year and ArtPrize, the art competition that takes over Grand Rapids, Michigan, each fall. These numbers have been self-reported by each institution.
ARTnews on Facebook
- Jill Magid Wins Biannual $50,000 Calder Prize
- Masterpieces from the Margins: The Outsider Art Fair Triumphs in New York
- David Setford Named Executive Director of Tacoma Art Museum
- Chana Budgazad Sheldon to Direct Museum of Contemporary Art, North Miami
- Meditating Soldiers, a Giant Crossword Puzzle, and Yoga Mat Toilet Paper: Maryam Jafri on Her Exhibition 'War on Wellness'