The latest editions of the Venice Biennale and Istanbul Biennial recently ended their runs, and released news that each had set new records for attendance: more than 500,000 people for Venice, and 545,000 for Istanbul. The graph above takes a look at how many people attended a number of recent major exhibitions, including “State of the Art,” the ambitious survey of American art that opened at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville, Arkansas, last year and ArtPrize, the art competition that takes over Grand Rapids, Michigan, each fall. These numbers have been self-reported by each institution.
- Boston Museum Directors Pen Letter Defending NEA and NEH
- Channel Surfing: Channel One Unites Underground Cultures in L.A.'s Chinatown
- All the Art Fit to Show (And None of It Fake!): Flag Foundation Plans a Show About the 'Times'
- Lisson Gallery to Open Second New York Space on Tenth Avenue in Chelsea
- Shahzia Sikander Goes to Sean Kelly Gallery in New York