The latest editions of the Venice Biennale and Istanbul Biennial recently ended their runs, and released news that each had set new records for attendance: more than 500,000 people for Venice, and 545,000 for Istanbul. The graph above takes a look at how many people attended a number of recent major exhibitions, including “State of the Art,” the ambitious survey of American art that opened at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville, Arkansas, last year and ArtPrize, the art competition that takes over Grand Rapids, Michigan, each fall. These numbers have been self-reported by each institution.
ARTnews on Facebook
- Tulsa, Oklahoma to Receive $1 M. as Winner of Bloomberg Philanthropies 2018 Public Art Challenge
- Moving Offices to Hudson Yards, Jeff Koons Studio Makes Layoffs
- LX Gallery Opens on New York's Upper East Side
- Thomas Dane Gallery Taps New York Dealer Simon Preston to Be Consultant
- Creative Capital Names Winners of 2019 Awards