The latest editions of the Venice Biennale and Istanbul Biennial recently ended their runs, and released news that each had set new records for attendance: more than 500,000 people for Venice, and 545,000 for Istanbul. The graph above takes a look at how many people attended a number of recent major exhibitions, including “State of the Art,” the ambitious survey of American art that opened at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville, Arkansas, last year and ArtPrize, the art competition that takes over Grand Rapids, Michigan, each fall. These numbers have been self-reported by each institution.
- 'We Sold It All to the Best People': Despite Attendance Drop at Miami Basel, Art by the Young and Closely Watched Is Selling Quickly
- So What’s Wrong at the Glasgow School of Art? Quite a Lot, According to Student Protesters
- Pictures Generation Artist Philip Smith Wins 2016 Miami Beach NADA Artadia Award
- NADA Miami Beach Sees 'Usual Rush' and Flurry of Sales, Despite Muted Turnout Yesterday at Art Basel
- ARTnews's Complete Art Basel Miami Beach 2016 Coverage