The latest editions of the Venice Biennale and Istanbul Biennial recently ended their runs, and released news that each had set new records for attendance: more than 500,000 people for Venice, and 545,000 for Istanbul. The graph above takes a look at how many people attended a number of recent major exhibitions, including “State of the Art,” the ambitious survey of American art that opened at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville, Arkansas, last year and ArtPrize, the art competition that takes over Grand Rapids, Michigan, each fall. These numbers have been self-reported by each institution.
ARTnews on Facebook
- Nato Thompson Leaves New York's Creative Time for Upstart Arts Organization in Philadelphia
- Group Fighting Berkshire Museum Art Sale Plans Protest, Fundraiser
- A New Foundation: The Institute of Contemporary Art Opens Its Doors to Los Angeles
- Norman Rockwell’s Sons Sue Berkshire Museum, Seeking Halt to Sotheby’s Sale
- 200 Aboriginal Artworks Donated to U.S. Institutions by Dennis and Debra Scholl