The latest editions of the Venice Biennale and Istanbul Biennial recently ended their runs, and released news that each had set new records for attendance: more than 500,000 people for Venice, and 545,000 for Istanbul. The graph above takes a look at how many people attended a number of recent major exhibitions, including “State of the Art,” the ambitious survey of American art that opened at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville, Arkansas, last year and ArtPrize, the art competition that takes over Grand Rapids, Michigan, each fall. These numbers have been self-reported by each institution.
- MoMA Plans Louise Lawler Retrospective for 2017
- Gal Weistein to Represent Israel, Egill Sæbjörnsson to Represent Iceland at 2017 Venice Biennale
- Life Is a Highway: Greg Drasler on his new show at Betty Cuningham Gallery
- L.A. MOCA Elects Hard Rock Café Founder Peter Morton as Trustee
- 'We Are Not 30 Under 30, Nothing to Say Here, Move Along': An Interview With Body by Body About Their Current Los Angeles Show