The latest editions of the Venice Biennale and Istanbul Biennial recently ended their runs, and released news that each had set new records for attendance: more than 500,000 people for Venice, and 545,000 for Istanbul. The graph above takes a look at how many people attended a number of recent major exhibitions, including “State of the Art,” the ambitious survey of American art that opened at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville, Arkansas, last year and ArtPrize, the art competition that takes over Grand Rapids, Michigan, each fall. These numbers have been self-reported by each institution.
- Business by the Bay: Dealers Descend on San Francisco for Untitled and Fog Fairs
- For Freedoms To Begin Residency at PS1; Controversial 'Make America Great Again' Billboard Goes Up
- Warhol Foundation Names Igor DaCosta Board Chair, Adds Pasternak, Lerner, Ha
- Marguerite Humeau Wins 2017 Zurich Art Prize
- Independent Brussels Releases 2017 Exhibitors List