The latest editions of the Venice Biennale and Istanbul Biennial recently ended their runs, and released news that each had set new records for attendance: more than 500,000 people for Venice, and 545,000 for Istanbul. The graph above takes a look at how many people attended a number of recent major exhibitions, including “State of the Art,” the ambitious survey of American art that opened at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville, Arkansas, last year and ArtPrize, the art competition that takes over Grand Rapids, Michigan, each fall. These numbers have been self-reported by each institution.
ARTnews on Facebook
- Lindsay Pollock Appointed Chief Communications and Content Officer of Whitney Museum
- Marko Peljhan Will Represent Slovenia at 2019 Venice Biennale
- 'Julian Paints Before He Even Starts to Paint': Max Hollein and Julian Schnabel Open Monumental Show in San Francisco
- New York's Burning in Water Gallery to Open San Francisco Space
- 'Bring Down The Walls': Creative Time Details Educational and Dance Project Focused on Mass Incarceration