The latest editions of the Venice Biennale and Istanbul Biennial recently ended their runs, and released news that each had set new records for attendance: more than 500,000 people for Venice, and 545,000 for Istanbul. The graph above takes a look at how many people attended a number of recent major exhibitions, including “State of the Art,” the ambitious survey of American art that opened at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville, Arkansas, last year and ArtPrize, the art competition that takes over Grand Rapids, Michigan, each fall. These numbers have been self-reported by each institution.
ARTnews on Facebook
- At Christie's $190.3 M. Imp-Mod Sale in London, Record-Breaking $45.8 M. Beckmann Goes to Gagosian
- MoMA Receives $50 M. Gift From Steven & Alexandra Cohen Foundation to Support Expansion
- TEFAF New York Announces Exhibitors List for 2017 Fall Fair
- Art Gallery of Ontario Adds Four New Curators
- High Museum of Art Acquires 58-Foot-Long Kara Walker Silhouette