The latest editions of the Venice Biennale and Istanbul Biennial recently ended their runs, and released news that each had set new records for attendance: more than 500,000 people for Venice, and 545,000 for Istanbul. The graph above takes a look at how many people attended a number of recent major exhibitions, including “State of the Art,” the ambitious survey of American art that opened at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville, Arkansas, last year and ArtPrize, the art competition that takes over Grand Rapids, Michigan, each fall. These numbers have been self-reported by each institution.
ARTnews on Facebook
- BRIC Announces Free Public Arts Fest in Brooklyn with David Byrne, Historic Video Art, and More
- Koenig & Clinton to Move from Chelsea to Bushwick in Brooklyn
- 'Welcome to the E-Renaissance': 'HyperPavilion' Will Showcase Post-Humanist Art During Venice Biennale
- Zurich's Galerie Eva Presenhuber Will Expand to New York
- Morning Links: Obama Portrait Edition