The latest editions of the Venice Biennale and Istanbul Biennial recently ended their runs, and released news that each had set new records for attendance: more than 500,000 people for Venice, and 545,000 for Istanbul. The graph above takes a look at how many people attended a number of recent major exhibitions, including “State of the Art,” the ambitious survey of American art that opened at Crystal Bridges in Bentonville, Arkansas, last year and ArtPrize, the art competition that takes over Grand Rapids, Michigan, each fall. These numbers have been self-reported by each institution.
ARTnews on Facebook
- Wynn Kramarsky, Venturesome Drawings Collector and Arts Patron, Is Dead at 93
- Billionaire David H. Koch, Right-Wing Activist and Philanthropist, Has Died at 79
- Christian Marclay Fans, Rejoice: Artist's Major, Menacing Venice Biennale Video Will Land in New York
- Smithsonian Acquires Papers of Longtime Chelsea Dealer Andrea Rosen
- Arts Funder United States Artists Selects Philanthropic Heavyweight as Board Chair