Earlier today, the Canada Council for the Arts announced this year’s winners of its Governor General’s Awards in Visual and Media Arts, which are given out annually to Canadians involved in the arts. Each of this year’s eight winners will receive $25,000 in prize money.Among this year’s winners are Edward Burtynsky, the photographer known for his work about climate change, and Suzy Lake, the conceptual artist whose work considers pictures, representation, and beauty. The Canada Council for the Arts has made a short video about each winner, and a release notes that they’ll also be available on Air Canada’s in-flight entertainment system in April and May. (We know this is exactly what you want to watch on a long flight, but if you won’t be flying Air Canada then, the videos are also available on YouTube.)The list of winners, along with any special awards they have won, follows in full below.
- Edward Burtynsky, photographer, Toronto
- Marnie Fleming, curator, Toronto (Outstanding Contribution Award)
- Philip Hoffman, filmmaker, Mount Forest, Ontario.
- Jane Kidd, textile artist, Salt Spring Island, B.C. (Saidye Bronfman Award)
- Wanda Koop, visual artist, Winnipeg
- Suzy Lake, visual artist, Toronto
- Mark Lewis, media artist, London, U.K.
- William (Bill) Vazan, visual artist, Montreal