Today, Independent Curators International named the 12 curators who have been shortlisted for its Independent Vision Curatorial Award. Franklin Sirmans, director of the Pérez Art Museum Miami, will choose the winner, who will receive a $3,000 stipend that goes toward funding a future project.
Past winners include Doryun Chong, the chief curator at M+ in Hong Kong, Nav Haq, who will curate the 2017 Göteborg International Biennial for Contemporary Art, and Jay Sanders, who is a curator of performance at the Whitney.
The nominees are listed below.
- Rashida Bumbray: Independent curator and choreographer; Senior Program Manager, the Arts Exchange, Open Society Foundations
- Elise Atangana: Independent curator and producer; Curator, Seven Hills, Kampala Art Biennale 2016, Uganda
- Amanda Abi Khalil: Independent curator and Founder, Temporary Art Platform
- Diana Campbell Betancourt: Chief Curator Dhaka Art Summit and Artistic Director, Samdani Art Foundation, Dhaka, Bangladesh; and Bellas Artes Project, Bagac
- José Esparza Chong Cuy: Pamela Alper Associate Curator, MCA Chicago
- Sabel Gavaldon: Independent curator
- Candice Hopkins: Independent curator and writer
- Miguel A. Lopez: Chief Curator, TEOR/éTica
- Camila Marambio: Independent curator
- Louise O’Kelly: Founding Director, Block Universe Performance Art Festival
- Fatos Ustek: Independent curator and writer
- Vivian Ziherl: Curator, Jerusalem Show VII Before and After Origins (2016) and Founder, Frontier Imaginaries