You can now start placing your bets. Today the Guggenheim Museum released the short list for the 2018 Hugo Boss Prize, which honors one artist every two years with a $100,000 check and a solo show at the New York institution. The finalists for the award are as follows:
– Bouchra Khalili (b. 1975, Casablanca)
– Simone Leigh (b. 1967, Chicago)
– Teresa Margolles (b. 1963, Culiacán, Sinaloa, Mexico)
– Emeka Ogboh (b. 1977, Enugu, Nigeria)
– Frances Stark (b. 1967, Newport Beach, California)
– Wu Tsang (b. 1982, Worcester, Massachusetts)
Recent winners of the prize, which began in 1996, include Anicka Yi (2016), Paul Chan (2014), and Danh Vo (2012).
The jury is chaired by Nancy Spector, the Guggenheim’s artistic director and chief curator. Its other members are writer and editor Dan Fox, the AV director of Frieze; Sofía Hernández Chong Cuy, curator of contemporary art at the Colección Patricia Phelps de Cisneros in New York and Caracas, who will soon be director of the Witte de With Center for Contemporary Art in Rotterdam; Bisi Silva, the artistic director of the Centre for Contemporary Art in Lagos; Susan Thompson, associate curator at the Guggenheim; and Joan Young, director of curatorial affairs at the Guggenheim.
The winner will be announced in the fall of 2018.