BASED ON A DESIGN BY FREEPIK
Each weekday, ARTnews publishes “Pictures at an Exhibition,” a look at notable exhibitions around the world, from important retrospectives for pioneers in major art capitals to smaller gallery shows by emerging or under-recognized artists in far-flung locales. Below is a look at some of the “Pictures at an Exhibition” posts that have run in 2017, broken down in two groups: the ten most-viewed slideshows and the ten favorites of ARTnews photo editor Maximilíano Durón, who manages the feature.
2017’s Ten Most-Viewed “Pictures at an Exhibition” Posts
1. David Hockney at Centre Pompidou, Paris
David Hockney, A Bigger Splash, 1967, acrylic on canvas.
©DAVID HOCKNEY/COLLECTION OF TATE, LONDON
2. Viviane Sassen at Stevenson, Johannesburg
Viviane Sassen, Vesuvio, 2017, digital print on luster paper.
©VIVIANE SASSEN/COURTESY STEVENSON, CAPE TOWN AND JOHANNESBURG
3. ‘We need to talk…’ at Petzel, New York
Dana Schutz, Trump Descending an Escalator, 2017, oil on canvas.
COURTESY THE ARTIST AND PETZEL, NEW YORK
4. Natalie Frank at Rhona Hoffman Gallery, Chicago
Natalie Frank, Domina III, 2017, oil on canvas.
COURTESY THE ARTIST AND RHONA HOFFMAN GALLERY
5. Natalie White at Bill Brady, Miami
Installation view of “Natalie White: A Muse Me,” 2017, at Bill Brady, Miami.
COURTESY THE ARTIST AND BILL BRADY, MIAMI
6. Jamian Juliano-Villani at Massimo De Carlo, Milan
Jamian Juliano-Villani, Corridor of Affection, 2017, acrylic on canvas.
ALESSANDRO ZAMBIANCHI/COURTESY MASSIMO DE CARLO, MILAN/LONDON/HONG KONG
7. Sarah Lucas at Legion of Honor, San Francisco
Installation view of “Sarah Lucas: Good Muse,” 2017, at Legion of Honor, San Francisco.
COURTESY THE FINE ARTS MUSEUMS OF SAN FRANCISCO
8. ‘Mindful: Exploring Mental Health Through Art’ at Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art, Virginia Beach
Installation view of “Mindful: Exploring Mental Health Through Art,” 2017, at Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art, Virginia Beach.
9. Pansy Ass Ceramics at DAIS Gallery, Toronto
Installation view of “Pansy Ass Ceramics: GAG,” 2017, at DAIS Gallery, Toronto.
COURTESY THE ARTISTS
10. ‘You Are Looking at Something That Never Occurred’ at Zabludowicz Collection, London
Lucas Blalock, Athena’s Fruit Dish, 2012, chromogenic print.
COURTESY THE ARTIST AND RAMIKEN CRUCIBLE, NEW YORK
Our Favorite “Pictures at an Exhibition” Slideshows from 2017
1. Andrea Crespo at Downs & Ross, New York
Andrea Crespo, Together Forever (still), 2017, aluminum, acrylic glass, CRT monitor, computer speakers, computer cooling fan, LED ribbon, and HD video.
COURTESY THE ARTIST AND DOWNS & ROSS, NEW YORK
2. ‘ğ – soft g – queer forms migrate’ at Schwules Museum, Berlin
Installation view of “ğ – soft g – queer forms migrate,” 2017, at Schwules Museum, Berlin.
3. Nona Faustine at Baxter St Camera Club New York
Nona Faustine, Land Of Freedom’s Heaven Defended Race, Lincoln Memorial, 2016, archival pigment print.
COURTESY THE ARTIST
4. ‘Generation Loss’ at Julia Stoschek Collection, Düsseldorf
Barbara Hammer, Sanctus, 1990, 16mm film, transferred to video, installation view.
SIMON VOGEL, COLOGNE/COURTESY THE ARTIST/JULIA STOSCHEK COLLECTION, DÜSSELDORF
5. ‘Screaming in the Streets: AIDS, Art, Activism’ at ClampArt, New York
Keith Haring, Ronald Reagan Accused of TV Star Sex Death, 1980, Xerox copy.
©ESTATE OF KEITH HARING/COURTESY CLAMPART, NEW YORK CITY
6. Puppies Puppies at T293, Rome
Installation view of “Puppies Puppies: Barriers (Stanchions),” 2017, at T293, Rome.
COURTESY THE ARTIST AND T293, ROME
7. Ismaïl Bahri at Jeu de Paume, Paris
Ismaïl Bahri, Esquisse, pour E.Dekyndt (still), 2017, video.
COURTESY THE ARTIST/PRODUCTION: JEU DE PAUME
8. Fouad Elkoury at the Third Line, Dubai
Fouad Elkoury, Kuchuk Hanem, 1990, ink-jet print on Baryta paper.
COURTESY THE ARTIST AND THE THIRD LINE
9. Lydia Okumura at Galeria Jaqueline Martins, São Paulo
Installation view of “Lydia Okumura: Inside, what exists outside,” 2017, at Galeria Jaqueline Martins, São Paulo.
DING MUSA/COURTESY GALERIA JAQUELINE MARTINS
10. Wang Hsin at Taipei Fine Arts Museum, Taiwan
Wang Hsin, India, Nepal, Kashmir, 1981 (printed 2016), digital print.
COURTESY THE ARTIST