Pepón Osorio is the winner of the 2018 Distinguished Artist Award for Lifetime Achievement from the College Art Association, which shared the news as part of its annual release of awardees, which also include art historian Kellie Jones taking home the Award for Excellence in Diversity, artist Firelei Báez winning the Artist Award for Distinguished Body of Work, and artist Lynn Hershman Leeson and scholar Lowery Stokes Sims earning Distinguished Feminist Awards.
The CAA also presents a number of awards for publications, teaching, and a few other activities. The Frank Jewett Mather Prize for art criticism went to Elise Archias for her 2016 book The Concrete Body: Yvonne Rainer, Carolee Schneemann, Vito Acconci, and the full slate of other winners and finalists follows below.
CHARLES RUFUS MOREY BOOK AWARD
– Benjamin Anderson, Cosmos and Community in Early Medieval Art, Yale University Press, 2017
– Laura Anne Kalba, Color in the Age of Impressionism: Commerce, Technology, and Art, Penn State University Press, 2017
– Susanna Berger, The Art of Philosophy: Visual Thinking in Europe from the Late Renaissance to the Early Enlightenment, Princeton University Press, 2017
– Dorothy Ko, The Social Life of Inkstones: Artisans and Scholars in Early Qing China University of Washington Press, 2017
ALFRED H. BARR JR. AWARD
– Barbara Drake Boehm and Melanie Holcomb, editors, Jerusalem, 1000–1400: Every People Under Heaven, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2016
– Wanda M. Corn, Georgia O’Keeffe: Living Modern, Brooklyn Museum, DelMonico Books, Prestel, 2017
– Matthew Affron, Paint the Revolution: Mexican Modernism, 1910–1950, Yale University Press, 2016
– Robert Cozzolino, Anne Classen Knutson, and David M. Lubin, editors, World War I and American Art, Princeton University Press, 2016
– Pilar Silva Maroto, Bosch: The 5th Centenary Exhibition, Thames & Hudson, 2016
ALFRED H. BARR JR. AWARD FOR SMALLER MUSEUMS, LIBRARIES, COLLECTIONS, AND EXHIBITIONS
– Melissa Rachleff, Inventing Downtown: Artist-Run Galleries in New York City, 1952–1965, Grey Art Gallery, New York University, DelMonico Books, Prestel, 2017
– Jane A. Sharp, editor, Thinking Pictures: The Visual Field of Moscow Conceptualism, Zimmerli Art Museum, Rutgers University, 2016
– Kevin Sharp, editor, Wild Spaces, Open Seasons: Hunting and Fishing in American Art, University of Oklahoma Press, 2016
FRANK JEWETT MATHER AWARD FOR ART CRITICISM
– Elise Archias, The Concrete Body: Yvonne Rainer, Carolee Schneemann, Vito Acconci, Yale University Press, 2016
ART JOURNAL AWARD
– Heather Igloliorte, “Curating Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit: Inuit Knowledge in the Qallunaat Art Museum,” Art Journal, Summer 2017
– Nazar Kozak, “Art Embedded into Protest: Staging the Ukrainian Maidan,” Art Journal, Spring 2017
– Allison Young, “Visualizing Apartheid Abroad: Gavin Jantje’s Screenprints of the 1970s,” Art Journal, Fall/Winter 2017
ARTHUR KINGSLEY PORTER PRIZE
– Aaron M. Hyman, “Inventing Painting: Cristóbal de Villalpando, Juan Correa, and New Spain’s Transatlantic Canon,” The Art Bulletin, June 2017
AWARDS FOR DISTINCTION IN TEACHING, WRITING ON ART, AND CONSERVATION
– Helen C. Frederick is the winner of the 2018 Distinguished Teaching of Art Award.
– Edward S. Cooke, Jr., and Alex Potts are the winners of the 2018 Distinguished Teaching of Art History Award.
– Joseph D. Masheck is the winner of the 2018 Distinguished Lifetime Achievement Award for Writing on Art.
– The CAA/American Institute for Conservation Award for Distinction in Scholarship and Conservation award for 2018 will be given to Paul Messier.