The 1-54 Contemporary African Art Fair has revealed the exhibitor list for its upcoming Marrakech edition, the first that 1-54 has planned for the Moroccan city. (The fair regularly has editions in New York and London, and in the past has gone by the name 1:54.) Of the 17 galleries participating, five are showing at the fair for the first time, among them London and Berlin’s Blain|Southern and New York’s Yossi Milo Gallery.
Those galleries are expected to bring work by more than 60 artists to the fair, which will also include special projects in collaboration with Musée d’Art Contemporain Africain Al Madeen (MACAAL), Musée Yves Saint-Laurent Marrakech and Fondation Montresso. “Forum,” a series of talks and events programs curated by Omar Berrada, will also be staged at the hotel La Mamounia.
Touria El Glaoui, the fair’s director, said in a statement, “The Marrakech edition is 1-54’s ‘homecoming’ in a sense, as the dream has always been to have a well-founded presence on the African continent, and so it is really exciting that both new galleries and friends will join us in Marrakech as we continue to expand and support our network.”
The exhibitor list follows below. The fair opens on February 24 and runs through February 25.
- (S)ITOR / Sitor Senghor (Paris, France)
- Art Twenty One (Lagos, Nigeria)
- Blain|Southern (London, United Kingdom and Berlin, Germany)
- Galerie Cécile Fakhoury (Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire)
- Galerie Mikael Andersen (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Galerie Vallois (Paris, France)
- L’Atelier 21 (Casablanca, Morocco)
- Loft Art Gallery (Casablanca, Morocco)
- LouiSimone Guirandou Gallery (Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire)
- MAGNIN-A (Paris, France)
- Officine dell’Immagine (Milan, Italy)
- Primo Marella Gallery (Milan, Italy)
- Sulger-Buel Lovell (London, United Kingdom)
- Tiwani Contemporary (London, United Kingdom)
- VOICE Gallery (Marrakech, Morocco)
- Vigo Gallery (London, United Kingdom)
- Yossi Milo Gallery (New York, United States