In August 2019, it was revealed that a new fair would coincide with Frieze New York in May beginning with the 2020 edition. Founded by Rachel Mijares Fick, who has previously produced art fairs such as Volta and Frieze, and Rebeca Laliberte, a New York–based art adviser, Future Fair aims to be a more tenable art fair option for small and mid-sized galleries by giving participants a cut of its profits. Running from May 7 to 9, the enterprise will bring together 36 international galleries and 5 project spaces to Canoe Studios in West Chelsea.
Among the participating galleries are El Apartamento (of Havana), 1969 Gallery (New York), Ochi Projects (Los Angeles), and Alberta Pane (Paris and Venice), and project spaces include Detroit Presents (Detroit), Matèria (Rome), and Suburbia Contemporary (Granada and Cape Town).
Exhibitors will split equally 35 percent of Future Fair’s profits, and they can choose to take the cash, get credit towards a forthcoming edition of the fair, or put the funds toward another gallery’s participation fees. The other 65 percent of the profits remain with the fair. Mijares Fick and Laliberte told ARTnews last year that participants will likely receive “three to four figures” annually through this sharing plan that spans four years.
Participants will exhibit works in pairs, with two galleries occupying spaces that range from 300 to 700 square feet.
In a statement, Mijares Fick and Laliberte said that each of the exhibitors “is doing the important work of creating space for artists to share their practice within a commercial environment,” adding, “we are personally moved and inspired by these dealers, their work and their stories keep us energized every day.”
The exhibitor list follows in full below.
Mrs. (Maspeth, New York)
PARQUE Galería (Mexico City)
El Apartamento (Havana)
JDJ (Garrison, New York)
Western Exhibitions (Chicago)
Tatjana Pieters (Ghent)
New Discretions (New York)
SITUATIONS (New York)
ross + kramer gallery (New York)
Stems Gallery (Brussels and Strassen)
Sean Horton (presents) (New York and Dallas)
Richard Heller Gallery (Santa Monica)
BEERS London (London)
bitforms gallery (New York)
Patel Gallery/Galerie Division (Toronto and Montreal)
Steve Turner (Los Angeles)
Sonia Dutton (New York)
Alberta Pane (Paris and Venice)
Galerie Anne Barrault (Paris)
Asya Geisberg Gallery (New York)
DIO HORIA (Mykonos and Athens)
Ochi Projects (Los Angeles)
Mother Gallery (Beacon, New York)
Fabian Lang (Zürich)
1969 Gallery (New York)
Klowden Mann (Los Angeles)
RUBBER FACTORY (New York)
Slag (New York)
Galerie RX (Paris)
ANNA ZORINA GALLERY (New York)
C+N Canapaneri (Milan)
Detroit Presents (Detroit)
Launch F18 (New York)
Suburbia Contemporary (Granada and Cape Town)