This week’s “Pictures at an Exhibition” posts are going to be a little bit different. Instead of selecting shows from around the world to highlight, ARTnews’ editors asked Hank Willis Thomas to take the reins and pick five shows to present, and he has kindly agreed. A new show will appear each day through Saturday, October 17.
It’s been a busy year for Thomas. In April he presented a stunning show at Jack Shainman in New York and in August opened a Public Art Fund project in Brooklyn. He also recently curated a group show, titled “Young, Gifted and Black”, at the Johannesburg branch of South Africa’s Goodman Gallery, which runs through November 11.
Below, his picks. A new one will appear each day through Saturday. Please check back throughout the week for all of his selections.
- #1 | Tuesday, October 13: “The Freedom Principle: Experiments in Art and Music, 1965 to Now” at MCA Chicago
- #2 | Wednesday, October 14: “Making Place: The Architecture of David Adjaye” at Art Institute of Chicago
- #3 | Thursday, October 15: “Rashid Johnson: Anxious Men” at The Drawing Center
- #4 | Friday, October 16: “Zanele Muholi: Isibonelo/Evidence” at Brooklyn Museum
- #5 | Saturday, October 17: “John Riepenhoff” at Atlanta Contemporary