Though some art institutions are making plans to reopen in the coming months, the coronavirus pandemic has posed a unique challenge for art fairs and large-scale exhibitions that draw sizable crowds throughout their runs. Such events that have already announced postponements so as to mitigate the spread of coronavirus include the Front International: Cleveland Triennial for Contemporary Art in Ohio, Art Basel in Switzerland, and the Bienal de São Paulo in Brazil, among others.
Now, the Prospect New Orleans Triennial, which had been set to take place from October 24 to January 24, 2021, has joined them in postponing a forthcoming edition. Its 2020 exhibition has now moved back a year, with a new opening date of October 23, 2021. The exhibition is now scheduled to run through January 23, 2022.
“Prospect New Orleans was originally born out of a crisis—a time of hardship and coming together,” Nick Stillman, executive director of Prospect New Orleans, said in a statement. “We’re a nimble and resilient organization. We’re well equipped to think quickly and improvisationally about how to handle this.”
Curated by Naima J. Keith and Diana Nawi, the triennial announced in March that it would feature work by 51 artists and collectives, including Kevin Beasley, Dawoud Bey, Sky Hopinka, and Simone Leigh. Taking up the theme “Yesterday we said tomorrow,” the presentation will a focus on the ways in which history informs current political issues in the United States.
Nawi said in a release that “the events of this year will inevitably add another layer of context and another lens through which we will have to view both history and our moment.”